Monday, November 23, 2009

Music For Cool Moms?

I'm taking a break from this hectic workday to have some lunch and come write. Although I have much to write about in terms of what's goin' on with the fam, I'm going to write about something fun.

This past weekend, The Hunk and I were out and about with 'Lil Bit, listening to the radio as we were driving around. As of late, I've been on this weird Indy rock and other unclassifiable music kick. For example, I'm in love with the White Rabbits. Sure, I came across them because one of their songs actually ended up on the radio, which makes it somewhat mainstream, but I still think they're Indy because of their sound and the fact that iTunes says so. :p I love their songs "Percussion Gun," "While We Go Dancing," and "Pilot."

Switching gears to a group that doesn't really fit any genre except perhaps Folk....Beirut. "Mount Wrocklai (Idle Days)" is a great song! I dunno why since it's rather repetitive, but trust me, it is.

Then, if you want to hear a punk rock band, opt for The Gossip with their lead singer that is clearly going to be famous just for her vocals and not her looks, which is quite refreshing actually. She certainly doesn't fit the stereotypical image of someone you'd find up on stage. Sadly, that's probably part of the reason not many people know about them. However, her voice is great, she has a nice rock star scream, and her songs give great advice. Check out "Fire With Fire." I like to belt it out as I'm driving. My voice isn't as edgy as hers. Must work on that. Ohhhh, you know who she reminds me of? Imagine a punked out Aretha and you've got The Gossip's front lady. Cool, no?

Let's see, what else do I have on my playlist? Oh, yes! We cannot forget Sia. Wow, Sia. This woman is said to be able to fill a huge auditorium using no amplification at all. I like to describe her lyrics as being "raw," meaning she puts it all out there for everyone to see. I cannot name my favorite Sia song due to fairly equal love for all, but a few that I find myself singing more often than not are "Sunday", "Death by Chocolate", "Breathe Me", and "Lentil." I don't fill an auditorium while singing her songs....just the car....but it works.

And something that I liked BEFORE it became mainstream (thankyouverymuch) due to its appearance on TV, Phoenix's "1901." It's, like, totally catchy and stuff.

Ok, so yes, if you're listening to these recommendations, you're probably getting whiplash. Seriously, you should see the craziness that is my iTunes.

Anywho, back to driving around with The Hunk. We stopped for lunch at Jose Peppers (you should hear how I'm saying it in my head as I type, it would crack you up) after hearing some other band I like on the local alternative station. As we walked up to the door, The Hunk informed me that just because I like Indy rock, doesn't mean I'll be "The Cool Mom" when 'Lil Bit gets older.

Maybe *I* won't be a cool mom since I'll probably be all disciplinarian and such, but at least I'll like good music.

No comments:

Post a Comment