Friday, August 27, 2010

MFW is going frugal.... Lesson 1: Stacking Coupons

Watch out, world! I've decided to learn the ways of "Couponing", and it totally just clicked in my brain!

I've tried in the past to use coupons, but I found that it really didn't save as much money as I'd hoped. However, I found a "Coupon Newbies" group on www.babycenter.com to show me the "proper" way to "coupon" so that you save the most money possible. At first, it was making my brain malfunction and I think I smelled a little bit of smoke. All of the sudden, though, I just got it!

Ok, here's the first secret I've learned. There's this wonderful thing in the coupon world called "stacking." Let's say your favorite store is Target. (It's definitely in my top 3.) On their website, there is a coupons link at the bottom of their home page. You go there, click the coupons you want, and presto - savings! But wait, there's more!

Depending on how the coupons print, you will get Target In-Store coupons and/or Manufacturer coupons. Unfortunately, you can't tell what they are until you actually print them. Pesky Target!

Let's say one of the coupons you print is a store coupon for $1 off your husband's and daughter's favorite brand of pretzels. So right there, you've saved a buck. It gets better! Now let's say you find a manufacturer coupon either online or in your newspaper insert for another $1 off. YOU CAN USE THEM BOTH!! That means you save $2 on the bag of pretzels your husband was going to put in the cart anyway! AND! Let's pretend for a moment that the bag of of pretzels have a retail price of $3.25 for the bag. If you get lucky, they'll be on sale for $2.50. If you use both of your coupons, you'll pay $0.50 for the bag and save $2.75! That's not a lot, but if you can figure out how to do that on most of your household products and packaged foods, that can add up quickly!

My next endeavor will be to learn the ways of getting stuff for free using CVS' Extra Care program.... I'll let you know when I figure that mess out....

Until next time,
Newly Frugal MFW

No comments:

Post a Comment